Sunday, January 8, 2012

Finally! Now I Can Order Something Else at Olive Garden

I'm not a huge fan of your typical chain restaurants. I'd rather go to the local Mom and Pop Shop and take my chances than go to Applebee's or Bob Evan's. Both have been boycotted. I make a few exceptions: The Cheesecake Factory and Olive Garden. How can you resist the rich, thick deliciousness of cheesecake? It's worth making The Boyfriend overpay for an ogre sized portion of a meal that I can't finish just to get to the dessert! 

Aaaaand Olive Garden. *ahhhhh* Breadsticks. Cheese. Semi-healthy salad. Cheese on the semi-healthy salad making it a less than healthy salad. What's that you say? Cheese on your cheese ravioli? Of course! Say when...

At least, that's how it would go if I were to ever order anything other than my usual. I think Olive Garden must put something in their food because I have a love affair with their Zuppa Toscana soup. And what a dream! They offer all you can eat soup, salad, and breadsticks. But it's not fair that I can only manage 2 bowls of the dreamy goodness. And that's if I go muffin-topping for the rest of the day. Even though my stomach says, "No more!" my taste buds are saying, "Why'd you stop?"

My friend and long-time twin, Jordan, made a homemade version of Zuppa Toscana, and it was fabulous. Months later, I decided to try my hand at it. And let me tell you, it tastes EXACTLY like the restaurant's. I am so thrilled that I can finally try something different on the OG menu because I know I have delicious Zuppa waiting for me in the freezer. 


Love Affair - Zuppa Toscana
Serves 8
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground Italian sausage
1½ tsp. crushed red peppers
1 large white onion, diced (I used red onion.)
4 TBSP bacon pieces (I'll omit this in the future. Too fatty!)
2 tsp. garlic puree (Garlic presses are amazing!)
10 c. water
5 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 c. heavy cream
1 lb. sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes (I also quartered them.)
¼ of a bunch of kale


Saute Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat and transfer to another bowl. Refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.

In the same large pot, saute bacon (optional), onions and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.

Add chicken bouillon and water to the pot and bring to boil.

Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.

Add the heavy cream, sausage, and kale. Stir until heated through. Serve.

*  *  *  *  *

A piece of advice: Only add enough kale as you plan on serving. The kale loses its crunchy goodness after awhile.

When!

Original recipe here.


1 comment:

  1. Um, hey. WHY have we not made this soup AND homemade bread sticks AND the og salad? I demand answers. Another girls night is in order.

    ReplyDelete