Sunday, October 23, 2011

Genesis

My hands speak loudly though not through spoken word.

They knit warm gifts to show my love,
Cook meals that comfort the heart,
Calm nerves with sweet music of piano,
Turn crisp pages of a well loved story,
And speak to those who cannot hear.

And when I am old and suffer carpel tunnel I shall say,
"These hands are magnificent hands."

*  *  *  *  *

I came to a startling realization the other day: I can't do everything I want to do because I only have two hands. I wanted to read a book and knit but after holding the book open with my feet proved difficult as I knit-purled my way to disaster, I had to sacrifice one for the good of the other. Then I decided that I simply had too many hobbies that used my hands - knitting, cooking, baking, reading, playing piano, playing video games, eating (in my family, it could be considered a sport)... the list goes on.

Okay, what can I do that doesn't involve my hands? I could watch TV. But the TV I like to watch is Food Network. Then I'm suddenly inspired to cook, bake, eat, or all of the above. I can listen to music. But then my hands start to twitch as I resist the urge to interpret the lyrics into American Sign Language. I just have to face facts. I am a hands-on kind of girl. I also like to share my experiences, triumphs, and failures. Hence, another blog to clog the blogosphere. I began with a knitting blog at http://projectknit.wordpress.com but since my knitting skills are improving rapidly, my knitting projects are getting much larger and taking MUCH longer. Boring for a knitting blog. So I thought I'd start a new one to share all my little interests. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.


~Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment